Scholarships and Funding
The options for financing overseas study are currently limited. At the moment the UK and Irish governments do not give grants of any kind for international study, and it is NOT possible to use a UK student loan to fund a course overseas (unless that course is considered to be an integral part of a UK degree). Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will not be eligible for student loan schemes in Australia or New Zealand.
Provided your course meets Immigration requirements you will be allowed to work while on a student visa, but you are limited to 20 hours per week during term time (you can work as much as you like during university holidays). Part time work can be a big help with living costs, but it is rarely enough to contribute toward international tuition fees.
If you need a scholarship in order to study, please start researching your options as early as possible. We recommend you look into funding before making an application for admission to a university, as scholarship application deadlines are often early and many require students to hold an offer of place from their chosen university before they are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
The majority of scholarships are offered directly by the universities themselves, so please visit their websites for the latest information on what is available, and to check whether there are currently any schemes you are eligible to apply for. There a few scholarships of particular note to students:
- University of Adelaide International Scholarships
- University of Auckland International Student Scholarships (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Bond University UK Excellence Scholarships (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- University of Canterbury International First Year Scholarships (all undergraduate programmes)
- Undergraduate engineering scholarships at the University of Canterbury
- Deakin Vice-Chancellor's International Scholarships (all levels)
- Edith Cowan University International Scholarships (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Griffith University International Student School Leavers Scholarship (undergraduate)
- Griffith University International Student Excellence Scholarship for High School Leavers (undergraduate)
- Griffith University International Student Excellence Scholarship – Postgraduate Coursework (postgraduate)
- Griffith University Remarkable Scholarships (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- James Cook University's International Excellence Scholarships (all levels)
- La Trobe College Excellence Scholarships (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Macquarie University are currently offering a partial fee waiver to European students (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Massey Business School International Student Study Awards (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Monash University bursaries and study grants (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- RMIT International Excellence Scholarship (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- University of Tasmania scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate students
- The University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarships (undergraduate, postgraduate and foundation)
Specialist postgraduate scholarships
- Masters of Integrated Water Management (IWC) Scholarships at the University of Queensland
- UNSW Sydney scholarships for MBA students
- Bursaries for Master of Advanced Engineering students at Monash University
- LLM Fee Scholarship at Victoria University of Wellington
General Scholarships - Australia
There are three general scholarship schemes available to students applying for study in Australia. These are usually restricted to students applying for postgraduate courses. Please note that all three scholarships are extremely competitive, and very limited in number. You are strongly advised to investigate other sources of funding alongside these schemes, and not to rely on them as your only option. The most common source of scholarships for UK-based students applying at this time are the Australian and New Zealand universities themselves, and we would very much recommend you focus your efforts on their internal scholarship options.
The Northcote Graduate Scholarships, administered by the Britain-Australia Society. Applications close in late August for the following year's study. Application forms are available from the Society, or from Study Options. For more information about these awards, please visit the Britain-Australia Society website, here.
The Endeavour Leadership Program is the Australian Government's internationally competitive, merit-based scholarship programme. They offer high-performing students, researchers and professionals from around the world the opportunity to further their studies in Australia. For further information please visit the website, here.
The Leverhulme Trust Postgraduate Study Abroad Scholarships are available to students who have been resident in the UK for at least five years and hold a UK bachelor degree. The are open to students studying overseas at postgraduate level and are not restricted by subject area. Applications generally open in September until mid-January. Find out more about these scholarships here.
General Scholarships - New Zealand
The New Zealand Department of Education has a scholarship finder tool, although not all the scholarships listed will be available to international students, check the terms carefully before applying.
Click on a university's name, below, to be taken through to the scholarships page of their website.