Scholarships and Funding
The options for financing overseas study are currently limited. At the moment the UK and Irish governments do not give grants of any kind for international study, and it is NOT possible to use a UK student loan to fund a course overseas (unless that course is considered to be an integral part of a UK degree). Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will not be eligible for student loan schemes in Australia or New Zealand.
Provided your course meets Immigration requirements you will be allowed to work while on a student visa, but you are limited to 20 hours per week during term time (you can work as much as you like during university holidays). Part time work can be a big help with living costs, but it is rarely enough to contribute toward international tuition fees.
If you need a scholarship in order to study, please start researching your options as early as possible. We recommend you look into funding before making an application for admission to a university, as scholarship application deadlines are often early and many require students to hold an offer of place from their chosen university before they are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
General Scholarships - Australia
There are three general scholarship schemes available to students applying for study in Australia. These are usually restricted to students applying for postgraduate courses.
1. The Endeavour Awards are the Australian Government's internationally competitive, merit-based scholarship programme. They offer high-performing students, researchers and professionals from around the world the opportunity to further their studies in Australia.
Applications typically open around April, and close in late June for courses starting the following year. For further information about the Endeavour Awards and how to apply please visit the website, here.
2. The Northcote Graduate Scholarships, administered by the Britain-Australia Society. Applications close in late August for the following year's study. Application forms are available from the Society, or from Study Options. For more information about these awards, please visit the Britain-Australia Society website, here.
3. The Leverhulme Trust Postgraduate Study Abroad Scholarships are available to students who have been resident in the UK for at least five years and hold a UK bachelor degree. The are open to students studying overseas at postgraduate level and are not restricted by subject area. Applications generally open in September until mid-January. Find out more about these scholarships here.
General Scholarships - New Zealand
International Doctoral Research Scholarships. This scholarship scheme for international PhD students is administered by the New Zealand Government. For more information please go to the New Zealand Department of Education website, here.
The New Zealand Department of Education also has a scholarship finder tool, although not all the scholarships listed will be available to international students, check the terms carefully before applying.
The majority of scholarships are offered directly by the universities themselves, so please visit their websites for the latest information on what is available, and to check whether there are currently any schemes you are eligible to apply for. There a few scholarships of particular note to students:
- University of Tasmania scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate students
- University of Adelaide International Undergraduate Scholarships (AIUS) (all undergraduate programmes except Medicine, Dentistry, Oral Health and Veterinary Medicine)
- Griffith University International Excellence Scholarships (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Griffith University 2018 Commonwealth Games Scholarships for sports students and athletes (all levels)
- University of Canterbury International First Year Scholarships (all undergraduate programmes) - already closed for 2017
- University of Canterbury College of Engineering International Scholarship (undergraduate) - already closed for 2017
- University of Auckland International Student Scholarships (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- James Cook University Science Scholarships for 2017 (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- University of Queensland International Science Scholarships (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Macquarie University are currently offering a partial fee waiver to European students (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Monash University bursaries and study grants (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- The University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarships (undergraduate, postgraduate and foundation)
Specialist postgraduate scholarships
- Masters of Integrated Water Management (IWC) Scholarships at the University of Queensland
- UNSW Australia scholarships for MBA students
- University of Newcastle scholarships for Juris Doctor students
- Bursaries for Master of Advanced Engineering students at Monash University
- University of Auckland International Business Masters Scholarships
Click on a university's name, below, to be taken through to the scholarships page of their website.