With world-class teaching and research, Deakin produces sought-after graduates poised to make a real difference in the world. Our teaching staff are recognised as leaders and innovators in their fields. Our courses foster real-world thinking and professionalism through close industry ties and practical study experiences. Most importantly, our supportive and flexible approach to education means you have the freedom to study when, where and how you like. Whether you want to stand out from the crowd, pursue new opportunities or forge your own path, Deakin can help you get there.
A snapshot of Deakin’s achievements:
- Ranked in the top 2% universities of universities worldwide in 2017 by the AWRU, QS and the Times Higher Education)
- Ranked #3 in Australia for graduate employability (2016 Times Higher Education Australian Employability Rankings)
- 5 stars for world-class facilities, research and teaching, as well as employability, innovation and inclusiveness (2016 Times Higher Education Australian Employability Rankings)
- Ranked no. 1 young university in Victoria (QS Top 50 under 50 ranking, 2016)
Melbourne: the world’s most liveable city
Deakin’s largest campus is in Melbourne, the world’s most liveable city (The Economist Liveability Index 2016). Melbourne has a creative, exciting city centre surrounded by eclectic neighbourhood hubs and within a short distance of spectacular coastlines.
Our Burwood campus
Burwood is a leafy suburb with many parks and other open spaces. The campus sits alongside parkland, which is great for cycling and walks.
Burwood is our busiest campus, with around 26,000 students and 1,500 staff. The campus boasts architecturally impressive buildings and top facilities for every faculty.
Our Geelong campuses
Deakin has two campuses in the city of Geelong, which is just one hour from Melbourne. Geelong is Victoria’s second largest city, with great cafes, nightlife, galleries, music venues and easy access to great surf beaches and nature. Geelong sits at the start of one of the world’s most beautiful coastal drives, the Great Ocean Road. Surf beaches, whale watching and the famous Twelve Apostles are on your doorstep.
The campuses both boast great outdoor areas and spacious new buildings, perfect for both socialising and studying.
Our Waurn Ponds campus
This has fantastic sports facilities – from a stadium, sports hall and courts, to a deluxe health club, complete with gym, workout studios and group fitness classes. Our Waterfront Campus is right on the seafront. Originally built as wool stores in 19th century, the buildings have been extensively renovated, creating a modern, impressive campus.
What can I study?
Popular study areas include:
- Medicine and health
- Sport science and sport management
- Communications and creative arts
- Nursing and midwifery
- Environmental science
- Business and management
- International studies and humanities
Deakin’s world-class research institutes include:
- The Institute for Frontier Materials
- The Institute for Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Alfred Deakin Institute
- Centre for Cyber Security
- Centre for Sport Research
Moving through the digital frontier
Deakin has a history of using cutting-edge technology to provide personal and flexible learning experiences, amazing facilities and support for students so that their education prepares them for jobs of the future. Most of our degrees are also offered online, so students have the flexibility to study anywhere in the world, at any time.