With world-class teaching and research, Deakin produces sought-after graduates poised to make a real difference in the world. Our teaching staff are recognised as leaders and innovators in their fields. Our courses foster real-world thinking and professionalism through close industry ties and practical study experiences. Most importantly, our supportive and flexible approach to education means that you have the freedom to study when, where and how you like. Whether you want to stand out from the crowd, pursue new opportunities or forge your own path, Deakin can help you get there. Here are a snapshot of just some of our achievements:
- Ranked in the top 2% of world universities in 2017 by QS, Times Higher Education and ARWU
- Ranked number 3 in Australia for graduate employability by the 2016 Times Higher Education Australian Employability Rankings
- Ranked 1 in the world for sports science for two years in a row (ARWU 2016, 2017); in the top 50 for metallurgical engineering (ARWU 2017); 30 for education (QS 2018) and in the top 75 for finance and accounting, top 100 for public health, law, computer science and in the top 150 for ecology, energy science and engineering (ARWU 2017)
- Highest level of overall student satisfaction of universities in the state of Victoria for eight years in a row (Australian Graduate Survey 2010-15) and the Graduate Outcomes Survey, QILT (2016-17)
Study in Melbourne: The world’s most livable city
Deakin’s largest campus is in Melbourne, the world’s most livable city according to the Economist Global Livability Ranking 2017. Melbourne has a creative, exciting city centre surrounded by eclectic neighborhood hubs and lies within a short distance of spectacular coastlines.
Our Burwood campus
Burwood is a leafy suburb with many parks and other open spaces. The campus sits alongside parkland, which is great for cycling and walks. Burwood is our busiest campus, with around 26,000 students and 1,500 staff based here. The Burwood campus boasts architecturally impressive buildings and top facilities for every faculty.
Our Geelong campuses
Deakin has two campuses in the city of Geelong, which is within an hour’s drive of Melbourne. Geelong is Victoria’s second largest city, with great cafes, nightlife, galleries, music venues and easy access to great surf beaches and nature. Geelong is also the gateway to one of the world’s most beautiful coastal drives, the Great Ocean Road. Surf beaches, whale watching and the famous Twelve Apostles are all on your doorstep. The two Geelong campuses boast great outdoor areas and spacious new buildings, perfect for both socialising and studying.
Our Waurn Ponds and Waterfront campuses
Deakin’s Waurn Ponds campus has fantastic sports facilities – from a stadium, sports hall and tennis and squash courts to a deluxe health club, complete with gym, workout studios and group fitness classes. Our Waterfront Campus is right on the seafront. Originally built as wool stores in 19th century, the buildings have been extensively renovated, creating a modern, impressive campus.
Moving through the digital frontier
Deakin has a history of using cutting-edge technology to provide personal and flexible learning experiences, amazing facilities and support for students so that their education prepares them for the jobs of the future. Most of our degrees are also offered online, so students have the flexibility to study anywhere in the world, at any time.
Popular study areas available
- Medicine and health
- Sport science and sport
- Communications and creative arts
- Nursing and midwifery
- Environmental science
- Business and management
- International studies and humanities
Deakin’s world-class research institutes
- The Institute for Frontier Materials
- The Institute for Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Alfred Deakin Institute
- Centre for Cyber Security
- Centre for Sport Research