James Cook University
One of the world’s leading institutions focusing on the tropics, James Cook University (JCU) is surrounded by the spectacular ecosystems of the Wet Tropics rainforests, the dry savannahs, and the iconic Great Barrier Reef. The multi-campus university spans two countries, with the main campuses located in the tropical Queensland cities of Townsville and Cairns and the city-state of Singapore. Student enrolments are currently over 20,000 and growing, including over 6,000 international students from more than 100 countries.
- JCU’s tropical location sets it apart from any other university in the world. The campuses in Cairns and Townsville are close to the Great Barrier Reef and the rainforests of the Wet Tropics.
- The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) by Shanghai Jiao Tong University places JCU among the world’s leading research and academic institutions. This report ranks JCU in the top 4 per cent of universities worldwide, based on research excellence.
- Australia’s pre-eminent tropical research university, JCU is ranked first in the world for citations in the field of coral reef ecology by Essential Science Indicators.
Popular study areas at JCU
JCU works closely with employers and industry to ensure that its degrees are accredited by leading professional organisations, and offers a comprehensive range of exciting and career-relevant courses at all levels in study areas including:
- Medicine and health
- Psychology and social work
- Business and IT
- Creative arts
- Humanities and social sciences
- Veterinary science
A practical focus
At JCU students are given the opportunity to experience study in the real world through internships, placements and projects with business and industry. They also experience field trips, industry links, and access to research stations and state-of-the-art facilities.
A supportive environment
JCU strives to create an educational environment where students can take full advantage of their university experience. Our friendly campuses, small classes, accessible teaching staff and strong support services (including study skills and student mentor programmes) all ensure that JCU students receive the personal attention they need in order to achieve their best.
Our contemporary learning spaces, ranging from lecture theatres to study spaces provide a technology-enriched learning experience.
A research intensive university
JCU’s tropical location allows its staff and students to conduct nationally and internationally significant research in areas such as marine sciences, biodiversity, tropical ecology and environments, climate change, tourism, tropical medicine and public health.
JCU’s network of research stations and partnering facilities span key areas of the tropics. JCU also receives over AU$60 million in funding each year and is a member of the Australian IRU (Innovative Research Universities), a network of world class, research-intensive universities.
A natural choice for study
JCU’s unique natural location attracts people from around the world who want to experience the natural wonders that tropical Queensland has to offer. Students experience the amazing surrounds of the region as well as the beautiful natural settings of the Cairns and the Townsville campuses. Both are close to shopping centres, medical facilities, pharmacies, restaurants, cafés and entertainment complexes.
International student services
James Cook International offers help and support to international students to ensure that their stay in Australia and at the University is a pleasant and productive one.
The International Office provides a one-stop shop for all enquiries and gives students a contact point if help is needed. Based in the Student Centre at each campus, it provides a range of support services and information for students including:
- Preparing for arrival information
- Free arrival reception service
- Orientation programme
- Social activities
- Help securing accommodation
- Assistance in emergencies
- Personal, well-being and welfare support
- After-hours student helpline
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) information
- Student advice, advocacy and referral
- Help with course admission procedures
- Returning home programme
The Townsville and Cairns campuses offer a range of housing options for students. Purpose-built accommodation is available on campus in Townsville in halls of residence or colleges. In Cairns, there are privately owned and run student residences near campus. Private rental options include houses and apartments. JCU’s Accommodation Service helps students to find on-campus accommodation, or private rental or shared accommodation off- campus. For students who prefer off-campus accommodation, the Service maintains a register of houses, units, apartments, shared accommodation, homestay and caretaker arrangements.