La Trobe University
Would you like to study at one of the most beautiful campuses, of the most modern universities, in one of the most student friendly cities in the world?
Melbourne was again rated the world’s most liveable city in 2012* by the Economist Intelligence Unit and the fourth most student-friendly city in the 2012 QS Best Student Cities ranking. We were also included in the 2012 QS Top 50 Under 50 universities ranking.
La Trobe has seven campuses, including two in the city’s bustling centre, across the state of Victoria. At our largest campus, just eight miles from the city centre and surrounded by some of Melbourne’s trendiest suburbs, you’ll enjoy world-class teaching facilities set in a peaceful, green environment. The Melbourne Campus features 660 acres of stunning parkland and waterways, including a major wildlife sanctuary. It is a complete community with student accommodation and a range of services including:
- Shops and a weekly market
- Sports Centre
- Gym, pool and tennis courts
- Cafes and restaurants
- Banks and a Post Office
- Cinema and theatre
- Optometrist, hairdresser and travel agent
What Can I Study?
La Trobe University offers a range of courses in subjects including:
- Science, IT and computer science
- Agricultural and environmental sciences
- Humanities and social sciences
- Accounting and financial management
- Business, marketing and tourism
- Health sciences
Rankings And Highlights
In the 2013 QS World University Rankings By Subject, several La Trobe disciplines were placed in the top 100 in the world
A new A$45 million five-storey building at the Melbourne Campus will be completed in 2014 and will provide more state-of-the-art classrooms and facilities.
The La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science (LIMS) was opened in 2013. This A$100 million six-level research centre on the Melbourne Campus aims to inspire the next generation of scientists
AgriBio, the Centre for AgriBioscience, is a brand new A$288 million building on the Melbourne Campus and one of the biggest and best bioscience facilities in the world
In the 2012 Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) Rankings, La Trobe was ranked Australia’s leading university for microbiology. We are also one of two top Australian universities for biochemistry and veterinary science research
Psychology at La Trobe has been consistently ranked among the best in the world. In the QS World University Rankings By Subject 2013, psychology was placed in the world’s top 100
Many of our courses offer industry cadetships, placements or projects and are accredited by professional associations nationally and internationally.
La Trobe is home to over 30 university and faculty-based research centres and institutes. Many of our academics have received national or international awards for their research, have extensive publication histories and regularly contribute to public debate in Australia and internationally. In 2011, La Trobe established an Australian first, a computerised Visualisation Laboratory (VisLab); we have now established VisLab links with research collaborators in Canada, the USA and the UK.
Support Services And Facilities
At La Trobe we have a dedicated team of staff who understand the difficulties international students can face adjusting to a new culture and making new friends. Some of the comprehensive support services we offer include:
- Advice and assistance regarding visas, health insurance, tuition fees, pre-departure information (including information on accommodation) and more
- A free airport reception service. Regional campus students can also be picked up from the railway station
- A comprehensive orientation programme and the My Life at La Trobe guide on life and study at the University
- Staff who offer advice and support on personal, financial or cultural issues, transitioning to life in Australia and to study at La Trobe
- The Transition@La Trobe e-friends programme, a social network hosted by current international students to build links with new students
- An after-hours, free telephone hotline service to help you with any of your concerns.
La Trobe University offers generous scholarships to high-achieving international students from all countries. The Academic Excellence Scholarship awards A$10,000 – $20,000 towards tuition fees.