Macquarie offers an unforgettable, world-class study experience. Its ranking among the world’s top 2% of universities, huge range of study options, and unique location in Australia’s largest high-tech business precinct attracts students from all over the world to study at its green parkland campus on the outskirts of Sydney.
Over 300 leading companies are located on or around the Macquarie campus, allowing students to tap into industry connections that give them an edge in their future careers, while staff can access research and innovation opportunities with some of the world’s leading organisations. The University is renowned for producing graduates who are highly sought after by employers.
Macquarie University are currently offering a partial fee waiver to European students. The AU$10,000 fee waiver will be available each year to full degree undergraduate and postgraduate students for the full term of their degree. No separate application is necessary, fee waivers will be awarded automatically to eligible passport holders.
Macquarie are also offering a scholarship for high-achieving European students at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. The Vice-Chancellor's International Scholarship awards a varied amount that will be applied towards your tuition fee. Please note this award is for full-degree students only. Find out more about it on the Macquarie University website.
Employers worldwide appreciate Macquarie’s practical approach to learning, which gives students real-world skills. Internships with Australian and international companies are encouraged, via the course-related internships or the Professional and Community Engagement (PACE) initiative, which enables undergraduate students to undertake internships and cultural experiences locally and internationally. Our award-winning Global Leadership Programme (GLP) allows students to study, volunteer and participate in activities in Australia and overseas. CEOs surveyed in The New York Times in 2012 ranked us among the world’s top 100 universities for graduate recruitment. Our alumni network of over 150,000 graduates in 140 countries provides further invaluable connections globally.
An innovative curriculum
Experts predict that by 2025 around 50 percent of jobs as we know them today won’t exist. It’s vital that our students graduate with the skills to prepare them for a changing world of work. With a view to delivering programmes for the next part of the 21st century, we have transformed our courses. We have introduced more than 40 new year-long Masters degrees and a huge range of double degrees at both bachelors and masters level, giving students the ability to combine more diverse areas of study than ever before and open up ever greater employment options. Our degrees now contain ‘core’ and ‘flexible’ zones, giving students greater choice and flexibility in their studies. And we’ve introduced a range of new degrees in areas of growing global market demand, including cybersecurity, engineering management, financial technologies, forensic accounting and many more.
Macquarie has a reputation for research excellence and was given the maximum rating of five in the Australian Government’s most recent Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) report. This also rated 100% of Macquarie’s research activity at world standard or higher. Macquarie hosts four of Australia’s 13 Research Centres for Excellence, including the Centre for Excellence in Core to Crust Fluid Systems and the Centre for Excellence for Cognition and Disorders. We were the first Australian university to align with the Bologna Model, and research students can undertake research with other universities via a Cotutelle partnership.
The Macquarie difference
Ten of our subject disciplines were ranked in the world’s top 100 by the QS World University Rankings By Subject 2019, including linguistics (36); philosophy (34); accounting and finance; earth and marine science; geography and education. In 2018 our MBA was ranked in the top 80 in the world in the Which MBA? ranking from The Economist magazine.
Macquarie is 15km from Sydney Harbour and has a train station on campus that connects directly to the CBD. The campus sits on 126 hectares of parkland. More than A$1 billion has been invested in recent years and our students enjoy world class facilities – a new library, a private hospital, first class sports fields, a gym and Olympic-sized swimming pool. Accommodation is available for all students on and off campus, with fully and self-catered, single and shared rooms available.
Living in Sydney
Sydney offers a vibrant lifestyle, a relaxed attitude and hundreds of beaches that stretch along its coastline. Try a surfing lesson at Bondi or Manly Beach or get involved with the city’s ongoing calendar of festivals, international sporting and cultural events.
A supportive, multicultural community
Macquarie provides a welcoming home for 40,000 students from over 100 countries. Offering support from arrival through to graduation, we help you transition to university life in Australia.
What can i study?
Well known for its prestigious programmes in finance, accounting and actuarial studies, Macquarie is also a leader in many other academic fields including science, engineering and linguistics. Areas of study available include:
- Education and teaching
- Engineering and IT
- Health and medical sciences
- Health professions
- Linguistics, speech and hearing
- Graduate School of Management
- Media and creative arts
- Security and intelligence
- Society, languages and culture
- Translating and interpreting
- Ranked among the top 1% of world universities in the world (QS World University Rankings, 2020)
- #9 in Australia for employability (QS Graduate Employability Rankings, 2020)
- Australia’s best employability programme: PACE (Professional and Community Engagement) (2017 AFR Higher Education Awards)
- 5 QS Stars in teaching, employability, research, facilities, innovation, internationalisation, inclusiveness and specialist criteria (QS Stars University Ratings, 2019)
- Top 110 in the world for employability (QS Graduate Employability Rankings, 2020)
- Sydney is rated in the world's top 10 best student cities in the world (QS Best Student Cities, 2019)
Subjects and research
- Three subjects ranked top 50 globally and seven subjects ranked top 100 (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2020)
- MGSM MBA ranked #3 in Australia Financial Times, 2019) and (The Economist’s’ ‘Which MBA?’ 2018 Survey)
- Six researchers in the top 1% of scientific authors in the world (Clarivate 2019)
- First global research collaboration pathway via the Master of Research
- 63rd in the World for Global Impact (Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings, 2019)
- More than 44,000 connected students from over 100 countries
- More than 196,000 alumni from over 140 countries
- 10,000 degrees awarded annually
- More than 150 partner universities for student exchange in more than 45 countries
- More than 30,000 work placements or community experiences through our PACE partnerships
Macquarie Business School
Join a new generation of changemakers where status quos are shattered, and business is reimagined.
Macquarie Business School rethinks, reimagines and rewrites the rules of business, so our community of students, staff, alumni and partners can find their purpose and collaborate to deliver ideas with global impact.
We take a progressive, cross-disciplinary approach to research and education that unlocks industry’s potential to drive beneficial change and sustainable outcomes in the world. Tailor your study to your career goals with flexible, personalised programmes and gain the confidence to take the next step in your career.
Together, with your ambition and our support, we can shape the future. That’s you to the power of us.
Our masters courses: Highlights
Our courses take a multidisciplinary approach, fusing practical learning and innovative thinking in an open, collaborative environment to unlock your potential. Deepen your connection to industry, find your purpose, and reimagine your professional career with some of our popular courses:
Master of Actuarial Practice (1-2 years)
Ranked sixth in the world for actuarial studies research, Macquarie also has the longest-running actuarial studies programme of its kind in Australia. You’ll learn how to apply mathematical, statistical, economic and financial analysis to practical problems in long-term risk management
Master of Banking and Finance (1.5-2 years)
This highly practical course is designed to meet employer needs and will develop your theoretical knowledge alongside your practical capabilities. Professional development is integrated into this course, and you can choose to undertake an internship for practical work experience. Specialisations available are environmental finance; financial management and fintech.
+ Combine this with a Master of Management and complete the double degree in two years.
Master of Commerce (1-2 years)
This practical and flexible course, designed to meet employer needs, will extend your business knowledge, provide you with a comprehensive understanding of all business functions and practical skills, making you highly employable in a wide range of careers. You can choose to complete one or two specialisations to develop depth in your chosen discipline. Specialisations are accounting; business, management and organisations; finance; human resource management and marketing.
Master of International Business (1-2 years)
This prestigious course will equip you with the skills and knowledge you'll need to set up and lead global enterprises. You'll develop a solid understanding of core business disciplines with an international focus so you can take your career around the world.
+ Combine this with a Master of Commerce and complete the double degree in two years.
Master of Management (1-2 years)
Strengthening your skills in leadership, project management, strategic decision-making and human relations is a distinct advantage. This course, developed specifically for recent graduates and early career professionals, will provide you with deep experiential learning within contemporary business settings, and give you opportunities to practically apply your learning to real and current corporate challenges.
+ Combine this with a Master of Commerce and complete the double degree in two years.
Duration of all programmes depends on amount of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) granted.
Research with impact
By undertaking a research degree at Macquarie Business School you will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to the development of new knowledge in society, work alongside some of the world’s leading researchers and access some of the region’s most outstanding facilities. Recent success stories include:
- Genomics Research: Our GenIMPACT team has secured important Government funding as part of A$33 million boost to genomics research into cancers and to combat children’s diseases.
- Hear For Your Future: Sound Scouts is an innovative hearing screening application that assists in early diagnosis of hearing loss in children. Thanks to the research done by the team at the Macquarie University’s Centre for the Health Economy (MUCHE), this screening test has been approved for use by the Australian federal government (A$4 million grant).
- Clean Tech Revolution: This project aims to provide new decision-making frameworks for the timing and extent of investments in new technologies. Analysing Australia’s positioning and the coming clean technology revolution will benefit policy-makers, corporations and investors.