UNSW Sydney has the ability to achieve great things and it is people, like you, who make the difference. We are committed to challenging traditional thinking, breaking new ground, pushing boundaries, and giving researchers and students alike the chance to realise their potential.
By attracting a teaching staff of renowned researchers from the best universities around the globe, we are constantly reinvigorating our ways of thinking and of seeing the world. We are consciously working to create a rich, dynamic intellectual space to bring together ideas to shape the future.
By consistently investing in our teaching spaces, learning resources, research centres, laboratories and facilities, we will ensure that UNSW remains a modern, vibrant campus with state-of-the art equipment for learning and teaching as well as for socialising and relaxing. We are always striving to create a world-class learning environment for all scholars.
- UNSW has established itself as a world-leading place of learning, thinking and growing, with a highly applied, industry-connected research approach underpinned by an intensive academic focus
- UNSW is currently ranked 45 in the world overall (QS World University Rankings 2018)
- We are ranked in the world’s top 50 universities for more than 20 academic subjects including mineral and mining engineering, law, accounting and finance, environmental sciences and psychology (QS World University Rankings By Subject 2018)
- We are a preferred university for employers, ranked 36 in the world for graduate employability (QS Employability Rankings 2018/19)
- We are considered the world’s 23rd most international university (Times Higher Education 2018)
- For 2018, UNSW researchers won the highest amount of funding in Australia from the Australian Research Council (ARC)
- UNSW has more millionaire alumni than any other Australian university (Spear’s WealthInsight 2016)
Innovate and change the world
We will transform your ideas and research discoveries into successful innovations to benefit communities around the globe, the economy and future generations. Together, we will conduct research across a range of areas. We invest considerable resources in areas where we believe we can make the biggest difference. Here are a few of the developments we are proud to have pioneered:
Solar power (photovoltaics): We hold the world record for the conversion efficiency of a silicon solar cell and are home to the world’s fastest solar powered car.
Clean drinking water: We created membrane filtration technology to filter water that is now used in taps around the world.
The bionic eye: We successfully trialled a bionic eye system that is a world first in terms of neural stimulation and clarity of vision. HIV/AIDS: Since diagnosing Australia’s first case of HIV, we have
been involved in the development of every existing antiretroviral HIV drug. The world’s largest computer: Using silicon, we are building the world’s largest supercomputer.
Creating a better world
As part of our 2025 vision, we are establishing a Global Development Network, partnering with universities working to improve the lives of the most disadvantaged communities in Asia, Africa and the Pacific. In partnership, we will achieve greater progress for those in need.
The Sydney campus experience
Situated in the leafy eastern suburbs of Sydney, the main UNSW campus is within easy reach of the city’s famously beautiful beaches and the city centre. Enjoying a sunny, mild climate throughout the year, Sydney enjoys brilliant blue skies nearly all year round.
The campus is a vibrant hub of activity. Located on 38 hectares of land, it has its own banks, restaurants, supermarket, post office, medical centre, newsagents and more. There are extensive sporting spaces including an Olympic-sized indoor swimming pool and a weights gym, and the opportunity to join many sporting clubs and activities. There are over 300 registered social clubs at UNSW that you can join through the Student Association to expand your network of friends.
UNSW has almost 5,000 student beds available in our on-campus accommodation. Choose between apartment-style or dormitory living options. The UNSW campus is in a medium-density residential area of Sydney, so renting privately nearby is an alternative option for those who would prefer to live off campus.
Programmes and study areas
Choose from over 900 bachelor, master and research degrees in:
- Advertising, marketing, PR
- Business, finance, IT
- Climate science
- Computer science
- Design, fine arts, photography
- International relations
- Journalism, media
- Renewable energy engineering