• Medicine subject area. Photo credit: Monash UniversityMedicine subject area. Photo credit: Monash University

Australian and New Zealand medical and dentistry qualifications have excellent reputations as some of the strongest and most rigorous training programmes in the world. Australian and New Zealand teaching in medicine and dentistry is based on problem-based learning, integrating medical science and clinical disciplines to ensure an optimum learning experience. In the majority of programmes clinical experience is included from first year.

There are several ways in which you can study medicine or dentistry at Australian and New Zealand universities.

1.    Apply to study medicine or dentistry straight from school

Universities that offer undergraduate medicine degrees include UNSW, James Cook University, Monash University, the University of Auckland and the University of Tasmania. Bachelor of Dentistry degrees are taught at the University of Adelaide, University of Queensland, James Cook University and the University of Otago.

2.    Apply to a dedicated undergraduate pathway to a graduate entry programme

This allows high-achieving school students to enrol on a pathway degree such as the Bachelor of Medical Science, and in some cases complete in just two years. Provided you meet the required academic standards during that degree, you would then be guaranteed a place on the graduate entry medical or dentistry programme. Griffith University, Flinders University and the University of Queensland all offer these. 

In order to apply to study medicine or dentistry in Australia or New Zealand students will often be required to sit an aptitude test, which can be taken in the UK. Study Options can provide you with further information on the admission process.

3.    Apply for graduate entry medicine and dentistry programmes

Australian universities also offer graduate entry medicine and dentistry programmes for those students who have already completed degrees in different fields. These are usually four years in length. Students will be expected to take the Graduate Medical Schools Admissions Test (GAMSAT) or the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) as part of the application process. Please contact Study Options for further information on this. Deadlines for these programmes are up to eight months before the commencement of the course – Study Options will be able to provide further clarification on these deadlines. Graduate entry programmes are taught by the University of Melbourne, University of Queensland, Flinders University, Griffith University, University of Sydney, ANU and Monash University.

Please contact us to request a list of the medicine, dentistry or oral health courses available.

Transferring a medicine or dentistry qualification from Australia or New Zealand to work in the UK

There are many Australian and New Zealand trained doctors and dentists working in the UK at the moment, which is testament to how well recognised their medical and dentistry degrees are. Please note that if you qualify as a doctor or a dentist in Australia or New Zealand you will be required to formally register before you can work in the UK. Any doctor whose medical degree is from a university outside the UK or the European Economic Area (EEA) must register with the General Medical Council. Australian and New Zealand qualified dentists will need to sit the General Dental Council’s Overseas Registration Exam in order to be able to apply for registration in the UK. 

Australian and New Zealand universities also offer an extensive range of professional development programmes designed to enable already qualified doctors or dentists to specialise in a particular area, as well as a comprehensive range of research opportunities.  Contact Study Options for more information about these programmes and where to find them.