Information for parents

Study Options is the official Application Support Service for UK-based students wanting to apply to Australian and New Zealand universities.

We are a FREE information resource for students and their families. We understand that as parents, you are likely to have questions that are very different from those we might be asked by your daughters or sons, and we are more than happy to answer any queries you might have about studying in Australia and New Zealand.

If you have any questions you’d like to put to us, or anything you’d like to discuss, please contact us via the website or call us on 0117 911 5610 (Bristol) or 020 7353 7200 (London).

Useful shortcuts

Information for parents of Australian or New Zealand citizens

If your child is already a citizen of Australia or New Zealand, or is eligible to claim citizenship of either country, he or she will be classed as a local or ‘domestic’ student when applying to Australian or New Zealand universities. A student’s status as ‘international’ or ‘domestic’ is determined solely by their citizenship status – it does not matter if they have completed all their education in the UK, or if they have never lived in Australia or New Zealand. Please click here for information on how they will need to apply as domestic students.

Information for families travelling to Australia on 457 (temporary) visas

If you are travelling to Australia on a sponsored temporary work visa (subclass 457) and are bringing your children they will not need to apply for their own individual student visas in order to study at an Australian university – they will instead be covered by the 457 visa. They will, however, be classed as an international student and you will therefore need to pay international tuition fee rates for their Australian university study. They will also not be eligible for any student loan schemes in Australia.

There are no important notices at the moment.

Contact us now