UNSW Sydney has the ability to achieve great things and it is people, like you, who make the difference. We are committed to challenging traditional thinking, pushing boundaries, breaking new ground, and giving researchers and students alike the opportunity to realise their full potential.
By attracting a teaching staff of renowned researchers from the best universities around the globe, we are constantly reinvigorating our ways of thinking and seeing the world. We are consciously working to create a rich and dynamic intellectual space for bringing together the ideas that will shape the future.
By consistently investing to upgrade teaching spaces, learning resources, research centres, laboratories and facilities, we will ensure that UNSW remains a modern, vibrant campus with state-of-the art equipment for learning and teaching as well as socialising and relaxing. We are constantly striving to create a world-class learning environment for all of our scholars.
Rankings and Reputation
UNSW has established its position as a world-leading place of learning, thinking and growing, with a highly applied and industry-connected research approach underpinned by an intensive academic focus.
- UNSW is currently ranked 49th in the world overall (QS World University Rankings 2016/17)
- We are ranked among the world’s top 50 universities for over 20 different academic subjects including mineral and mining engineering, law, environmental sciences and accounting and finance (QS World University Rankings 2016/2017)
- We are a preferred university among employers, ranked 27th in the world for employer reputation (QS World University Rankings 2016/17)
- We are considered the 14th most international university in the world (Times Higher Education 2017)
- We were the only Australian university to win more than AU$100 million in government funding in 2016
- We have produced more technology entrepreneurs over the past 15 years than any other Australian university (CrunchBase 2013)
Innovate and change the world
We will transform your ideas and research discoveries into successful innovations to benefit communities around the globe, the economy and future generations.
Together, we will conduct research across a wide range of areas. We invest considerable resources in areas where we believe we can make the biggest difference. Here are just some of the important developments we are proud to have pioneered:
- Solar power (photovoltaics). We hold the world record for the conversion efficiency of a silicon solar cell and are home to the world’s fastest solar powered car.
- Clean drinking water. We created membrane filtration technology to filter water that is now used in taps around the world.
- The bionic eye. We successfully trialled a bionic eye system that is a world first in terms of neural stimulation and clarity of vision.
- HIV/AIDS. Since diagnosing Australia’s first case of HIV, we have been involved in the development of every existing antiretroviral HIV drug.
- The world’s largest computer. Using silicon, we are building the world’s largest supercomputer.
Creating a better world
As part of UNSW’s 2025 vision, we are establishing a Global Development Network and partnering with universities working to improve the lives of some of the most disadvantaged communities in Asia, Africa and the Pacific. In partnership, we will achieve greater progress for those in need.
The Sydney campus experience
Situated in the leafy eastern suburbs of Sydney, the main UNSW campus is within easy reach of the city’s famously beautiful beaches and the city centre. Enjoying a sunny, mild climate throughout the year, Sydney enjoys brilliant blue skies nearly all year round.
The campus is a vibrant hub of activity. Located on 38 hectares of land, it has its own banks, supermarket, post office, restaurants, medical centre, newsagents and more. There are extensive sporting and recreational spaces including a 50-metre indoor lap pool and weights gym, and the opportunity to join many sporting clubs and activities. There are over 300 registered social clubs that you can join through the Student Association to expand your network of friendships.
We have almost 5,000 beds available in on-campus accommodation, in either apartment-style or dormitory living options. The campus is located in a medium-density residential area of Sydney, so renting privately nearby is an alternative option for students who wish to live off campus.
Programmes and study areas
Choose from over 900 bachelor, master and research degrees in fields including:
- Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations
- Business, Finance, Information Technology
- Climate Science
- Computer Science
- Design, Fine Arts, Photography
- International Relations
- Journalism, Media
- Renewable Energy Engineering